Thursday, September 9, 2010

Burning the Koran: Is Terry Jones a Hero?

Is Terry Jones "heroic?"


Well, he's not my hero, but...

I am not a Christian, and I view this fight the religious aspect as a fight two gangs, the Christian and Islamic churches. As a homosexual, I view Jones as my enemy for his support of the Westboro Baptist Church (you know, the "God Hates Fags" church of the holy bastard Fred Phelps). He and they illustrate the reason why we are to separate Church and State; to the extent that they use the force of the government to infringe on the freedoms of homosexuals or any other offender of their faith, they are hypocrites in the battle for free speech. (But then, do we really need "The State?").

Well, then, why do I defend Jones's Koran-burning? "Sticks and stones...". They are entitled to their views and opinions, as long as they keep their hands to themselves. Yet, by standing up to the threat of Islamic terrorism, putting himself on the line to defend his right to free speech, Jones meets the etymology of hero: "protector/defender," in this case, standing up for a larger issue: freedom of speech. In a limited aspect: Yes, by definition, Jones is acting heroically...for his cause, when it suits his purposes. He is putting his own life on the line to defend his right, even if his actions and preaching continue to undermine the rights of homosexuals like myself. It just so happens that, on this one particular matter of free speech, our paths align...in this limited context.

Here's where I'd like to leave this: the enemy of my enemy is not necessarily my friend...I am not defending Jones, but the larger principle involved. If the worst among us can defend their rights to free speech, the best of us better sure as hell do the same. So, Pastor, enjoy my support against Islamic oppression while it lasts...because I, as well, will defend myself from your own brand of religious tyranny.

4 comments:

Joe Maurone said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Joe Maurone said...

Update, 9/9/10, 5:39: News is coming in that the burning is being called OFF, and that the location of the proposed mosque at Ground Zero is being moved. Details are still sketchy, with reports that the mosque is NOT being moved, as well as another burning planned in Oklahoma.

What does this mean for the "heroism" of Terry Jones? Depends on his motivation, of which I am not aware, and cannot comment on. But we'll soon find out...

"May you live in interesting times..."

madmax said...

But then, do we really need "The State?"

Oh wow Joe, are you really going down *that* road?

Joe Maurone said...

Don't worry, I won't be burning my copy of ATLAS SHRUGGED.