Thursday, January 14, 2010

"I Am a Real American": Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling

In my last post, about Cartoon Network's "American Hero Weekend," I addressed a misguided comment from a message board elsewhere, which read:

"Next weekends schedule for American Heroes weekend looks good and the promo 'Toon is airing looks great, my only complaint is they managed to slither in Johnny Test which makes me mad because he does not fit the mold of a standard hero and the show is Canadian, not American."
While addressing what it means to be an "American Hero," my memory was rebound to the time of cassettes and Hulk Hogan's Rock 'n' Wrestling, and the video "I Am A Real American" by Rick Derringer. (Trivia of the day: Brad Garret did the voice of Hulk Hogan.) On the one hand, you have the bigoted attitude that only red-blooded cowboys can be American Heroes, and on the other, you have those who dismiss red-blooded cowboys altogether as "Fascist." The 90's were the turning point in that debate, with fall of the Soviet Union and the rise and fall of Ronald Reagan that gave us Barack Obama, but this song gets to the essence of it all; it's everything those who resent America hate, and but with one line, sums up the ideal American attitude "Fight for the right of every man." And it should be noted that on the cartoon, both the "heroes" and "villian" teams were multicultural. But then, there are those who would object that the Soviet and Iranian were on the "villains" side, making it a battle of ideology, which it was, and is.

Those people are offended by the American idea of the individual, the smallest minority of all. But bigotry can come from within as well as from without. So, for both those who think that heroes can only come from Texas, as well as those who are offended by pictures of dictators (and popes!) being torn up, I bring you...



When it comes crashing down, and it hurts inside,
ya' gotta take a stand, it don't help to hide,
Well, you hurt my friends, and you hurt my pride,
I gotta be a man; I can't let it slide,
I am a real American, Fight for the rights of every man,
I am a real American, fight for what's right, fight for your life!

I feel strong about right and wrong,
And I don't take trouble for very long,
I got something deep inside of me, and courage is the thing that keeps us free,
I am a real American, Fight for the rights of every man,
I am a real American, fight for what's right, fight for your life!

Well you hurt my friends, and you hurt my pride,
I gotta be a man; I can't let it slide,
I am a real American, Fight for the rights of every man,
I am a real American, fight for what's right, fight for your life!

0 comments: