Monday, December 14, 2009

An Ode To Christmas Heroes

I'm not a Christian, and consequently, not big on Christmas. Yet, I still consider the classic Christmas specials a guilty pleasure. So I thought I'd give a atheist shout-out to those Yuletide heroes who stand up for freedom and individualism in their own way: Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, Hermey the Misfit Elf, and Yukon Cornelius. Both Rudolph and Hermey were put down for being "different," while Yukon was looked down on for his lust of "silver and gold," but is really a capitalist hero. Santa and the other elves and reindeer were revealed to be nothing but tribal conformists (and possibly homophobic; Hermey is my personal bona-fide gay-icon.) Ever notice how angry they all are? Why was Santa so down on Rudolph from the get-go? If a shiny red nose sets him off, it makes me wonder about his criteria for his "naughty-or-nice" list...But our heroes not only save the day against the Bumble, but also help to find homes for the other misfit toys. So, Rudolph, with your nose so bright...Hermey, with your pearly whites...and Yukon with your gold-bug bite...shine on.


0 comments: