Friday, January 9, 2009

Caught in a Web...

Steve Ditko must be rolling his eyes somewhere...From the Chicago Tribune: Spidey Swings into Obama's World:

 "He's not a superhero just yet, but President-elect Barack Obama does get to fist-bump one in a new Spider-Mancomic book. In "The Amazing Spider-Man" #583, to be released Jan. 14 by Marvel Comics, Barack Obama meets Spidey when the superhero thwarts an Inauguration Day scheme perpetrated by the villainous Chameleon....For Marvel Comic's Editor in Chief Joe Quesada, Obama and Spider-Man together make perfect sense."
 
  Damnit. And Spiderman was my childhood favorite. But it does make sense. Both believe that with "Great power comes great responsibility...". And both believe in sacrifice. Only I've never seen Spider-Man sacrifice others 'for the greater good...", only himself. 

Got got that, Mr. President? Do you hear me? You want to be a hero? Here's another heroic oath: 

 "I swear, by my life and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."

 To be fair, though, Obama did say one thing in this article that I "sorta" like:

 Obama, a comic book collector, told Entertainment Weekly last year: "I was always into the Spider-Man/Batman model. The guys who have too many powers--like Superman--that always made me think they weren't really earning their superhero status. It's a little too easy. Whereas Spider-Man and Batman, they have some inner turmoil. They get knocked around a little bit."
I agree with Mr. President here, it's nothing to be a hero when you're invulnerable, but when the stakes are raised, that's when you separate the men from the fanboys. And seriously: would you rather see Superman fighting the Toyman at full Kryptonian strength, or fighting a fully-powered General Zod?

0 comments: