Saturday, September 20, 2008

Heroism in Music

In addition to the horror file, I want to also start a few themed posts on heroism in music (some may belong in the Horror File, anyway...). Some of the songs I'm going to cover include, but aren't limited to:





"We Don't Need Another Hero" by Tina Turner (from the movie MAD MAX/BEYOND THUNDERDOME)
"Heroes" by David Bowie
"Catch Me Now I'm Falling" by the Kinks

and a slew of songs based on Superman, starting with the Kink's "Superman (Wish I Could Fly Like)" and up to the themes from Smallville and Scrubs. (Sorry Donovan, "Sunshine Superman" isn't relevant to my theme, though Superman and Green Lantern STILL ain't got nothing on you. :) )

Eventually, if I'm ambitious enough, I'll get to talk about how heroism is depicted musically, (no words, music alone) with a discussion of Beethoven and Wagner, but I make no promises on that. I don't usually plan out articles in advance, or announce them! I like them to be spontaneous (besides, I'd never have planned to blog about the Merry Marvel Marching Society! Eek!). But It's a personal challenge. Still, I'm not paid for this, so no promises....(Unless there's a patron out there who would like to sponsor such endeavors, then we'll talk...). But I am a musician (shameless plug: www.spaceplayermusic.com!). It's not as if it's a chore for me to discuss it! And I do attempt to employ the heroic in my own compositions, so I am paid, as a composer, in knowledge and advancement of my craft. (Money would still be nice, though...).

0 comments: