Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Art Imitates Life

Some critics of comic books and fictional heroes in general have a legitimate concern that the idea of heroism never extends beyond the printed page, remaining an abstraction never to be achieved in real life (and some, sadly, assert that heroes simply don't exist!). That's a concern addressed and answered by Ayn Rand as well, who spent her lifetime writing to justify their existence in the here-and-now. And we certainly don't want to promote the conception of heroic fiction as an "escape" from the real world. The goal of Superhero Babylon is to help pave the way for a new cultural acceptance of the very idea of heroism so that it is NOT confined to fictional characters, but attainable by those who have the courage to achieve it. From time to time we will focus on the real-life heroes who defy the idea that heroism is for the funny pages only.

Shine on!

5 comments:

Bosch Fawstin said...

I have a quote on my 'Wall of Words' in my workspace that says:

'Writing is not an escape from reality, it is a plunge into reality and it's very shocking to the system. Meaningful fiction is the exploration of reality.'

I don't know the source, but it sprung to mind. And I'll add that no matter how fantastic a heroic work of art may be, it may not be 'realistic' in the narrow sense of the term, but as long as there's an underlying truth behind the spectacle, then it can't help but make take it with them into their own lives. Most, if not all, of my real life heroes are writers and artists who dramatize the heroic in man in such a way that it inspires me and others to cultivate these great values within ourselves.

Damien said...

Joe Maurone,

I don't entirely agree or disagree with Rand's philosophy. I've been following a blog critical of objectivism for some time now.
I'm personally wondering what your response to this is and how you would try to refute it? Also from the same site.

Joe Maurone said...

Damien, I'm curious as to why you're asking my opinion on that specific blog. Thanks.

Damien said...

Joe Maurone,

I'm asking your opinion on this, here, because its related to Heroism and objectivism. I was curious as to how someone on this site would respond to Danial Barns criticism. Also this particular blog post seemed the most appropriate to me to ask my question on, and your the one who wrote the post.

Joe Maurone said...

Thanks for clarifying, Damien. From the little I know of Nyquist, I can't say much about him, but from what I saw on the site, I can safely say I have fundamental disagreements with him. That's all I'd like to say on the matter.